What is Hydroseeding?
Hydromulching and hydroseeding are the terms terminologically expressing the same action and the names given to the process of planting vegetable seeds with an aqueous mixture (also called “slurry”) formed in a tank. Hydroseeding, first emerged in the1940s with the idea of spraying a mixture that could form a vegetative cover to prevent erosion in the areas on the sides of highways in America. Later, its usage areas and technology have improved considerably. Hydroseeding is the spraying of a water-based slurry, consisting of a combination of seeds, mulch, fertilizer and other materials needed by the soil, to the application area.
Hydroseeding application is a method applied in areas that can be classified as flat or less inclined, mostly vegetal soil has been laid and leveled, and the soil quality can be classified as medium to good. It is suitable for areas of all sizes to be seeded, such as residential areas, city parks, greened intersections. Hydroseeding mulches consist entirely of vegetable fibers that are 2-10 mm long and are wood fibers that have been processed thermally and mechanically. The fibrous material (Mulch) formed after all processes is a material that has high water holding capacity and completely bio-degradable in nature. Mulch covers the soil surface like a blanket with fibers intertwined from all directions.
This fibrous matrix formed has 3 main roles;
- Prevents erosion from the moment of application. This effect is limited to about 6 months, the average time of hydroseeding mulches to completely dissolve in nature. It reduces the splash effect of raindrops, absorbs rain water in heavy rains and transmits it to the soil.
- It provides a suitable environment for seeds and seedlings due to its high water holding capacity. It also reduces the thirst effect as it acts like a mulch as we know it, limiting the evaporation of soil water.
- It ensures that the Hydroseeding mixture (water, seed, fertilizer) remains homogeneous and prevents the seeds and fertilizer from flowing away with rainfall after the application.
Benefits of Hydroseeding application;
- Hydroseeding saves you money and time. The fact that it can be applied quickly and with less personnel saves up to 75% compared to other alternatives.
- It can be used for various purposes in different sectors such as erosion control, agriculture, airports, sports complexes, landscape companies, national and urban parks, railways and highways, mining sites, quarries, energy transmission projects.
- Hydroseeding improves quality. It allows you to get superior quality results as it allows the roots of germinated seeds to be buried in the soil earlier and deeper than other methods.
- Hydroseeding offers variety. It allows you to choose seed varieties that are suitable for the climate and natural species of the region to be treated or suitable for the purpose of the application.
- Hydroseeding reduces water consumption. There is no irrigation process as a preliminary preparation to create a green area with Hydroseeding. Water is used only once during the application.
- Allows you to easily reach difficult areas and long distances.
- It is an effective application for erosion control and stops surface soil erosion from the moment of application.Why should we choose? - Reduces water consumption - Reduces the carbon footprint